MaTERIAL Group is in the process of capacity building using seed grant from the institute. A state-of-the-art facility for additive manufacturing and material characterization is being set-up, which would house advanced equipment including, but not limited to:
1. 3D printer to print cement-based and polymeric material
2. Advanced rheometer for rheological characterization of cement-based materials and similar suspensions under different modes
3. Isothermal calorimeter for investigating hydration kinetics of cement and similar material
4. Environmental and carbonation chamber for performance evaluation of materials under simulated temperature/humidity/CO2 concentrations
5. Universal testing machine of 1000 KN capacity with load and displacement-controlled loading
6. Ultrasonic Pulse velocity meter for non-destructive evaluation of building materials
7. Material mixing and sample preparation facilities
8. Durability testing apparatus including length comparator, permeability set-up and rapid chloride penetration equipment.
Apart from these, IISc has a centralized material characterization facility, which are accessible by students and researchers. The facility houses advanced equipment including Scanning Electron Microscope, X-ray diffractometer, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance instrument etc. Further details can be found here.